AVON RIVER HERITAGE CENTRE
  • About
    • Avon River Heritage Society
    • Artifacts & Archives
    • The Avon River
    • Meet the People in our Neighbourhood >
      • Dawn Allen, August 21st, 2020
      • Sara Beanlands, July 22nd, 2021
      • Carolyn Connors, July 30th, 2020
      • Carolyn Connors, July 21st, 2021
      • Louis Coutinho, August 13th, 2020
      • Sean Coutinho, January 13th, 2021
      • Eva Evans, July 24th, 2020
      • Elizabeth Ferguson, July 27th, 2020
      • Nicholas Hughes, August 6th, 2020
      • Olwynn Hughes, August 11th, 2020
      • Kim Lake, January 18th & 21st, 2021
      • Trudy Lake, March 13th, 2022
      • Raymond Parker, August 12th, 2020
      • Raymond Parker, July 7th, 2021
      • Zacchary Paul, August 21st, 2021
      • Tacha Reed, August 27th, 2020
      • Allen Shaw, January 18th, 2021
      • Carolyn vanGurp, July 16th, 2020
      • Abraham Zebian, August 24th, 2020
    • Avondale Walking Tour
    • Fundraising
  • History
    • Natural History >
      • Highest Tides in the World
      • Tidal Bore
      • Avon Peninsula Ecology
      • Birds of the Avon
      • Marine and Freshwater Species of the Avon
      • Karst Environment
      • Gypsum
      • Avon Peninsula Watershed Preservation Society >
        • Avon Peninsula Watershed Preservation Society, Interview with President, Raymond Parker
        • Avon-Shore Seed Library
    • Mi'kmaq >
      • Mi'kmaq Birch Bark Canoes
      • Mi'kmaq of the Avon River >
        • Treaty Truckhouse 2 & Zacchary Paul
    • The Coming of the Europeans
    • The North American Colonies
    • Acadians >
      • Pisiquit
      • Acadians of the Avon River >
        • Babin
        • Breau
        • Cheverie
        • Forest
        • Landry
        • LeBlanc
        • Rivest
        • Thibodeau
        • Trahan
        • Vincent
        • Other Families
      • Village Thibodeau (Poplar Grove)
      • Acadian Families After Expulsion >
        • Broussard
        • Brun
        • Comeau
        • Deveau
        • Girouard
        • Johnson
        • Leger
        • Pellerin
        • Poitier
        • Robicheau
        • Suret
    • New England Planters >
      • New England Planters in Avondale >
        • Genealogy
        • Samuel Bentley
        • Benjamin Borden
        • John Chambers
        • James and John Harvie
        • Caleb Lake
        • James and Lydia Mosher
        • Nathaniel Reynolds
        • Benjamin Sanford
        • James Smith
        • Henry Tucker
        • James Weedon
    • Loyalists
    • African Nova Scotians
    • The Avondale School
    • Avondale Wharf & The Landing
    • The Avon Spirit
    • Community Orchard
    • Edmund McCarthy
    • Golden Age of Sail >
      • The Rise and Fall of the Golden Age of Sail in Newport
      • The Mosher Shipyards
      • Sailing Ships, Sugar, and Salt
      • Vessels of the Avon River
      • Shipbuilding Process
      • Shipbuilding Tools
      • Ship Directories
      • Kings Wharf
      • The Hamburg >
        • Obituary Capt. Andrew B. Coldwell
        • The Hamburg and Alice Coalfleet’s Diary
      • Captain George Richard Mounce Sr
      • Annie Armstrong Mounce Correspondence 1875-1892
      • Captain Daniel William Dexter & The Emma Payzant >
        • Captain Daniel William Dexter and Family, Interview with Debbie Siler, July 21st, 2021
        • Diary of Sarah Dexter, 1892-1893
      • The Rotundus
    • Local Home Histories >
      • 28 Chip Hill Road
      • 51 Avondale Road
      • 38 Avondale Road: The Clifford Mosher House
      • 58 Avondale Road
      • 60 Avondale Cross Road
      • 71 Avondale Road: The John A. Harvie House
      • 354 Belmont Road: The Yellow House
      • 603 Belmont Road: Wallace Point
      • 801 Avondale Road
      • The Acadia House
      • The Avondale Church
      • The Avondale Parsonage
      • The Church Farm
      • The Fred Robart House
      • The Henry Lyon House
      • The House Across From The Church
      • The John E.F. Mosher House
      • The Knowles Homestead
      • The Mounce Mansions >
        • Captain George R. Mounce House
        • The Thomas A. Mounce House (Honeymoon House) >
          • Interior of the Honeymoon House
      • The Mrs. Dunham Hotel
      • The Old Newton Mosher House
      • The Old Stone House >
        • The Mystery of the Fieldstone House
      • The Roley Mosher House
      • The W.H. Mosher House
  • Arts & Culture
    • Artists Landing Art Gallery >
      • Paul Edmond Solo Exhibition
      • Sean Benton Solo Exhibition
      • Avon Photography Club Group Exhibition
      • Avon River UNFRAMED Group Exhibition
    • Avondale Wharf Day
    • Full Circle Festival >
      • Sofa Sundays
      • Solstice Market
    • The Great Little Art Show >
      • Great Little Art Show 2021 - Artists
      • Great Little Art Show 2021 - Artwork
      • Great Little Art Show 2022 - Artists
      • Great Little Art Show 2022 - Artwork
      • Great Little Art Show 2023
      • Great Little Art Show 2024 - Artists
      • Great Little Art Show 2024 - Artwork
      • Great Little Art Show 2025 - Artists
      • Great Little Art Show 2025 - Artwork
    • Honey Harvest Festival
    • Open Studio
    • Fraud Lewis Painting Workshops
  • Events Calendar
  • Planters Sea Chest Gift Shop
  • Lydia & Sally Cafe
  • Venue Rentals
  • Volunteer and Employment Opportunities
    • Summer Employment Opportunities
    • Volunteer Teams
    • New Horizons for Seniors
  • How to find us!

38 Avondale Road: The Clifford Mosher House

The house at 38 Avondale Road, Newport Landing, sits on property that has been part of the Mosher family holdings in the area for well over 200 years.

The first deed that can be traced at the Registry of Deeds in Windsor shows a portion of the present lot being conveyed to Patrick Coffill by John Mosher on March 27th, 1815. It is not known how long the Moshers owned the land before that date. However, old maps indicate several Mosher properties and buildings in Newport Landing including a lot owned by a Capt. Mosher (the present site of Phyllis McLean’s property, a Mosher shop beside the present day wharf (which used to be called Harvies Wharf) and a Shoemakers shop fronting on to the Avondale Road where our driveway is now located. This shop was operated by John E.F. Mosher.

It would appear that one quarter of the present lot was always in the hands of the Moshers after 1815. This is the section that contained the shoemakers shop and also the present house. The rest changed hands a couple times but was mostly held by the Murphy family who had a house closer to the River and behind the present day house. After owning these lots from 1826 to 1890, the Murphys sold them to John E.F. Mosher in1890. This brought all the lots that comprise the present site back into the Mosher family. They were then passed on to John Clifford Mosher in 1913.

It was Cliff Mosher who built the present house sometime in 1913-1914. The house remains close to the original design with a small addition to the living room and a connection to the old garage. This work was completed in the late 1970’s by the King family who purchased the property after Cliff Moshers death in 1974.

 The house was owned by Brian Kienapple and Susan Rogers from 1989 until (?)

La maison à 38 Avondale Road, Newport Landing, reste sur une propriété qui était un parti des propriétés de la famille de Mosher pour bien plus de 200 ans.
 
Le premier acte qui peut être identifié à la Registry of Deeds en Windsor montrés une portion de la parcelle présente étant communiqué à Patrick Coffill par John Mosher en le 27 mars, 1815. Ce n’est pas connu combien de temps les Moshers ont possédé la terre avant cette date. Cependant, les vielles cartes indiquent plusieurs propriétés des Moshers et bâtiments dans Newport Landing qui inclure une parcelle possédé par un Capitaine Mosher (l’endroit présente de la propriété de Phyllis Mclean) un magasin des Moshers a côté du quai d’aujourd’hui (qui en la passé était appelé le Quai Harvies) et un magasin de cordonnier devant le Avondale Road ou notre allée et maintenant situé. Ce magasin était intervenir par John E.F. Mosher.    
 
Il apparaîtrait qu’un quart de la parcelle d’aujourd’hui était toujours dans les mains des Moshers après 1815. Ceci est la section qui a contenu le magasin de cordonnier et aussi la maison de la présente.  Le reste a changé mains quelques fois mais pour la plupart était tenue par la famille de Murphy qui avait une maison plus proche à la rivière et derrière la maison d’aujourd’hui. Après être en possession de ces parcelles de 1826 à 1890, les Murphys ont les vendues à John E.F. Mosher en 1890. Ceci a retourné tous les parcelles qui se composent du site d’aujourd’hui à la famille de Mosher. Ils étaient ensuite passés à John Clifford Mosher dans 1913.
 
C’était Cliff Mosher qui a construit la maison d’aujourd’hui quelques temps en 1913-1914. La maison reste proche à la conception originale avec une petite addition au salon et une connexion au vieux garage. Ce travail était complété dans les 1970’s tard par la famille King qui a acheté la propriété après la mort de Cliff Mosher en 1974.
 
Depuis 1989, la maison étais possédé par Brian Kienapple et Susan Rogers.
Avon River Heritage & Culture Centre, 17 Belmont Road, Avondale/Newport Landing, West Hants, Nova Scotia, B0N 2A0
Email us at [email protected]
Telephone us, May through October, at (902) 757-1718

We acknowledge that we are in “Pesegitk”, named by the Mi’kmaq people, to highlight its uniqueness as the place where the river  “flows split-wise”.
​We are grateful to the stewards of this land who came before us to create this village and heritage centre we all benefit from being a part of.


The Avon River Heritage Society would like to thank the Municipality of West Hants and the Province of Nova Scotia for their generous support.

Picture